What it is
Irena Sendler was one of the most remarkable—and most unlikely—heroes of World War II, saving 2500 Jewish children during the German occupation of Poland. As a social worker, Irena had access to the Warsaw Ghetto, making it possible for her to rescue the daughter of a Jewish friend and safely hide the young girl with a Catholic family. Realizing that thousands of children were still in danger, Irena recruited sympathetic friends and co-workers to smuggle children out and place them in safe homes, farms and convents. At great personal risk, she devised extraordinary schemes to sneak the children by Nazi guards, bringing them out in ambulances, suitcases and even wheelbarrows. Irena was eventually captured by the Gestapo. Even after months of torture, she maintained her silence. Her heroic efforts were honored by a nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007.
- Starring Anna Paquin, Gorin Visnjic and Marcia Gay Harden.
- Includes "Making of" featurette, behind-the-scenes interview, biographies, credits and production story.
- Wide-screen version; closed captioned.
- Approx. 110 minutes running time.
- Originally aired 4/19/09.
Our service and delivery
- We’ll send you an email letting you know your order has been shipped by FedEx Ground. Your email will include tracking information.
- If you need your order delivered quickly, Hallmark can send it via FedEx 2-Day Air or FedEx Standard Overnight for an additional charge.
- FedEx does not deliver to post office (PO) boxes, U.S. territories or Overseas Military Mail (APO/FPO) addresses.
- Saturday delivery and Priority Overnight options are not available from FedEx.