What it is
When Margaret Ryder, the hearing daughter of deaf parents, grows up during the Great Depression, she alone is the link between Mama and Papa’s silent world and the hearing world they do not fully understand…and it does not understand them. Her youth is spent sacrificing friendships and romance as she struggles to keep her parents’ deafness a secret from everyone who knows her. Torn between the responsibility she feels for her parents and her own desire for independence, Margaret quietly hides her growing resentment. When she falls in love and secretly marries a young soldier, Margaret finally breaks free, shattering her now tenuous relationship with her parents. Eventually Margaret and her parents realize that their love as a family is stronger than the differences that have separated them. A compelling vision of how courage, communication and understanding can reunite a family.
- Starring Mare Winningham, Phyllis Frelich and Ed Waterstreet.
- Includes "Making of" featurette, biographies, credits and production story.
- Full-screen version; closed captioned.
- Approx. 110 minutes running time.
- Originally aired 12/9/85.
Our service and delivery
- We’ll send you an email letting you know your order has been shipped by FedEx Ground. Your email will include tracking information.
- If you need your order delivered quickly, Hallmark can send it via FedEx 2-Day Air or FedEx Standard Overnight for an additional charge.
- FedEx does not deliver to post office (PO) boxes, U.S. territories or Overseas Military Mail (APO/FPO) addresses.
- Saturday delivery and Priority Overnight options are not available from FedEx.